This spicy Mexican rice soup with lime and avocado is one of my favorite soups.
There are few soups that I really crave, but this is one of them. The flavor is bright and spicy, with lots of lime and cilantro flavor,and the chicken/rice combination makes it satisfyingly filling.
Nancy made this up on her own after trying something similar in a Mexican restaurant in Newport Beach. We have made it numerous times and dialed it in just the way we like it. It's a bit of work, but well worth it. Hope you enjoy it!
TOTAL TIME: 55 min
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 35 min
YIELD: 12 servings
Make the chicken bouillon. Heat water, add bouillon, set to high heat to bring it to boil.
While boiling, zest the limes into the soup, and squeeze all lime juice in as well.
Once boiling, add rice and chicken.
Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 25 minutes or until rice is cooked through.
Remove from heat, add Sambal and cilantro.
Serve with avocado on top as garnish.
- 12 cups chicken bouillon
- 3 limes, zested and squeezed
- 8 boneless chicken thighs (or 6 breasts), cubed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups uncooked rice (any, but Basmati is great)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped, stems removed
- 4 avocadoes (sliced for garnish)
- 3 tbsp Sambal (or Siracha) garlic-chili paste (or to taste)